Whether you’re making homemade ice cream, Hollandaise sauce or choux pastry, there are loads of different ways you could end up with leftover egg whites. There are plenty of recipes in addition to the ones above that leave you with extra whites that will just end up in the bin if you don’t find a use for them. If you’re looking for ways to cut down on waste and use those leftover egg whites, you’ve come to the right place!
Original image via Flickr
I’m going through a homemade ice cream phase right now – take a look at my frozen dessert recipe page if you want to see all the different flavours I’ve come up with so far! – which leaves me with loads of leftover egg whites. I absolutely hate wasting any kind of food, so during my ice cream experiments I’ve come up with loads of different ways to use up left over egg whites. Here are some of my favourites:
- Meringues – crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside cookies made from egg whites and sugar.
- Angel Food Cake – naturally fat-free cake made with flour, sugar and egg whites.
- Chocolate Chip Protein Oatmeal Bake – healthy single-serving breakfast dish with oats, egg whites and chocolate chips.
- Salmon and Egg Sandwich – use the egg whites to make a scramble for a healthy sandwich.
- Homemade Marshmallow Fluff - made using sugar, egg whites and light corn syrup.
- Homemade Marshmalows – very similar to the above recipe, made using egg whites, gelatin and sugar.
- Italian Meringue Buttercream – a fun change from regular buttercream, with egg whites, butter and sugar.
- Lemon Meringue Pie – whip the egg whites to create a light and fluffy topping for this zesty pie.
- Baked Alaska – use whipped egg whites to create a protective barrier around this ice cream cake.
- One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcake for One – a great way to make a tasty treat from a tiny amount of leftover egg whites.
And there we have it – ten different ways to use up leftover egg whites. So next time a recipe calls for two egg yolks and one egg white, don’t just wash the extra egg white down the drain. Save it and use it to whip up something amazing!
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!