- Sweet Recipes
- Savory Recipes
- Holiday Recipes
- Tips & DIY
- Link Parties
- Foodie Fun
- Recipe Box
Come round for dinner! We can have BBQ pulled-pork on these Jalapeño and Cheddar Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns. No? Then come around for lunch! We can have toasted Jalapeño and Cheddar Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns with a huge salad. You’re busy, huh? Then come around for breakfast and we can have poached eggs on Jalapeño and Cheddar Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns! No…wait…come back!
I used to work with a girl who would happily devour every homemade treat I brought into the office. But then she moved. Not just out of the office, but off the island.
Now there’s a new girl. But I’m scared to give her anything in case she thinks homemade cookies from an almost-stranger are weird. And a tiny bit of me thinks that my treats could be so bad they force people to emigrate.
So with no one to taste test – apart from my Official Treat Taster that is, but he pigs out on Pot Noodles and Vindaloo curries, so what does he know? – I find myself often dangerously near the situation of the first paragraph with my neighbours who I never speak to.
I cannot get over this homemade bread obsession. I have still kept to my word and have not bought any bread from the supermarket. Well, I bought a loaf to make homemade Panko breadcrumbs, but who in their right mind would bake a gorgeous loaf of bread to destroy it in a food processor?
I just hate the thought of buying bread from the supermarket now. It’s loads faster – and at €1 a loaf probably cheaper or at least on par – to buy from the supermarket, but something inside me now sees the supermarket as my most powerful contender in a home making competition I must win!
These Jalapeño and Cheddar Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns pack a wonderful spicy punch with a strong hint of cheese. They’re great for hamburgers or BBQ pulled-pork sliders oozing with cheese like in the picture. I guarantee they’ll be a hit at your next BBQ, so get in the kitchen and preheat that oven!
Jalapeño and Cheddar Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white flour
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup shredded cheddar
4 small jalapeños
Topping: milk, sesame seeds, onion powder, garlic powder
1. In a large bowl mix the water, sugar and yeast. Leave for 5-10 minutes until it blooms.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer with the dough hooks attached, combine the yeast mixture, egg, and salt. Pour in the flours, cheese and jalapeños and mix on a medium speed for about 7 minutes.
4. Scoop the dough out of the bowl and shape into a ball. Place in a well-oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise for an hour.
5. Punch the dough down and divide into 6-10 pieces depending on how big you want your hamburger buns. Shape each piece into a ball and place onto a large baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
6. Gently flatten the buns with the palm of your hand and lightly brush with milk. Sprinkle sesame seeds, onion powder and garlic powder on top of each bun and allow to rise for 90 minutes.
6. Bake the buns at 350°F/175°C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Here are the link parties I take part in.
Come and join the fun!